Obviously it has been busy around here. I try to post weekly at the minimum but summer is proving to be a busy beast. I have done quite a few projects, its just that getting to post them is harder than expected. Any who… this might be my first outdoor project since the teal front door reveal. We’ve been hard at work giving our house a little curb appeal (on our little budget). We’ve learned that sometimes a little elbow grease can go further than a few bucks. This project is a great example.
It all started with my love of this rug.
The catch? It is $345. I also love this one. Too bad it was on sale for $749. No thanks. One day when my children outgrown spilling things and we graduate from plastic patio furniture then perhaps I will spend a car payment (or two!) on an outdoor rug. But for now DIY is way more realistic for the budget. I did a similar project last year for a whopping $10. After the weather, birds and sun did it in, my lovely hubby secretly tossed it in the trash. And then I nearly cried. This year we begin again.
I bought a large 6’x9′ canvas drop cloth at Home Depot for $8. They come in a variety of dimensions and most are under $10! I chose the size because I knew we had the 6 chairs to put around it and the arrangement worked nicely last year. Then I doodled a few geometric patterns on cardboard until I found one I liked (and even labeled it so). I chose this hexagon shape for other reasons too. I figured filling straight lines with paint mind be easier especially because it had to be done repeatedly. I also really enjoyed the honeycomb design it makes once its repeated. After making the design template shapes, I added little tabs on each side so it would be easy to line up with fellow hexagons as it was traced. Then I cut that bad boy out and got to work.
I had leftover fabric paint from other projects so that determined the colors which happen to match the chairs well. Only happy accidents around here, people! Molly traced and I painted. We laid the canvas on a tarp as we worked on each section so that we didn’t have paint bleeding through on the deck (Which will be refinished soon. I hope.). And we got some sun. Two birds with one stone!
Here is a look at how it came together as we went. And then something hilarious happened: we ran out of paint. Oh yes, that was soooo funny. So guess what? We went ombre. I had pink and purple of the same paint. So now we went from blue to purple to magenta. Another happy accident. I actually love the way it looks.
So here is a look at the finished project. a sweet honeycomb rug for $8. And it goes nicely with the blue chairs. Those windows back there are old flea market finds. I’d love to hang them on the fence one day but I just can’t commit. Just the other day I was day dreaming about one being in place of artwork over our headboard in the master bedroom. Now if I can just make that nasty nineties red stain disappear.
I spend at least one night a week out here. Sometimes we enjoy a drink or dessert after O goes to sleep or we get out her baby pool and let her splash around while hubby grills. Next: fire pit, flowers and a party. You’re all invited!